The process began with asking what their favorite colors and shapes were. They said neutrals, nothing overly bright, with words or anything too funky. So DH & I dug thru my stash. What did I find? Some pretty tree fabric I bought when we were in Wylie for a week. Specifically, Beautiful Trees by Camelot Cottons in a fat quarter bundle.
Next, we looked at a ton of quilt patterns. Had a couple of ideas, but nothing was like "YES!" Then we pulled other coordinates to see what we could come up with. Not really enough to make any specific pattern, especially after we got to cutting. Just not enough for a wonky log cabin or anything. The light bulb went off! And this is what we came up with
Similar to a coin purse type of pattern, with sashing between the charm squares. The sashing was 2.5 inches. Nice & balanced, so I think.
Borders. Yes, it needs borders:
Now on to the basting. I thought I would try glue basting. Precisely, mixing water & Elmer's glue, misting on each layer of the quilt and ironing the water out. It worked. My ratio was 3 parts water to 1 part glue. I just didn't like the crispyness of the texture. This said I am going to keep buying basting spray until I have a frame to quilt on.
The quilting is a fun swirly pattern throughout the top and the outer border has a nice loopy pattern. The binding is done by hand. I wrapped the backing fabric around to the front with about 1/2 inch showing.
The gift was given and much loved.